Many bodybuilders swear by whey protein, but what exactly is it...and why is it so important? Get all the answers here in this review of whey protein supplements.
Whey Protein is a Staple of Bodybuilding
The success you achieve when bodybuilding depends on several factors, and one of the most important is nutritional balance. If exercise is the spark, then diet is the fuel. If you get your diet wrong, you may end up exercising for hours without achieving optimal results.
You may even cause yourself serious injuries. It’s important to understand that 80% of the results achieved when undergoing body building are directly linked to your choice of diet, while the remaining 20% is linked to the exercise.
While carbohydrates and vitamins are vital for body building, proteins are even more important, because they help in repairing worn out muscles and building new ones.
There is a two-hour period post-workout in which you should consume easily digestible proteins such as whey, so that proper muscle repair can take place. This also helps to build muscles and prepare them for optimal performance during the next session.
Fast-Acting and Protein-Packed
Whey protein is simply a by-product of milk or cheese processing, and it is sold as a dietary supplement in shakes and protein powder. Over the years, whey protein development has undergone several phases, and it’s now used by casual exercisers and athletes at all levels.
Whey is not only absorbed quickly, but also easy to digest. Whenever we use it, our bodies benefit from the ingestion of around twenty amino acids. These play a vital role in repairing muscles, bones, organs and other parts of the body. Whey protein comes in two forms – isolate and concentrate.
Isolate is the purer form of the two, delivering maximum protein, along with a lower percentage of fats and carbs.
There is no doubt that a high-protein diet is essential to achieving serious muscle gains. Whey protein offers the required building blocks which the body requires to build important tissues and lean muscle.
There are many scientific studies which have shown that a protein shake can deliver a good combination of amino acids in the right concentration for optimal performance.
Whey protein helps to enhance the rate at which protein synthesis takes place in the body. Whey is better taken in the form of powder and mixed with spread, milk or juice.
Although serious bodybuilding trainers may consume up to 150 grams every day, your recommended daily protein intake in grams can be worked out by multiplying your weight in pounds by 1.5.
A blender can make a protein shake taste delicious!
Select the Best Whey Protein Products
However, you have to exercise certain precautionary measures when using whey for body building. For safety reasons, you shouldn’t take more than 30 grams of whey proteins in a single sitting because excessive doses may overload the liver.
The safety of whey protein has been documented in many scientific studies, so if taken in appropriate, safety is not a concern
Choose high quality whey proteins because they carry the highest number of amino acids, which can activate cellular mechanisms to promote the synthesis of proteins.
There is no shortage of these products on the market, and you should do your research before purchasing. Stick to high quality concentrates that are made with the best ingredients.
Whey that’s rich in branched-chain amino acids such as leucine is recommended, because these work to maximize the amount of protein synthesis taking place in the body.
However, the recommended amount for daily use must be used. With the right body building exercises and high quality whey proteins, you can achieve great results in your workouts.
Whey protein is a huge favorite with bodybuilders because it delivers a high level of bioavailability – that is, the body is able to convert nearly all other whey protein into protein within your body.
Add this to the fact that whey protein is digested very quickly – it can be absorbed into your system within 60-90 minutes of consumption – and you have a very powerful bodybuilding aid.
Boost Your Performance
A good time to take whey protein is first thing in the morning, when your body is short of fuel. Enjoy a protein shake with your breakfast, and you will be delivering protein to your body in double quick time to get your day started.
Most bodybuilders also drink protein shakes before and after a workout, when your body needs the raw materials to build fresh muscle fast.
Whey protein is clearly established as a vital supplement in every bodybuilder’s arsenal. Use this product effectively, and you can set yourself on the way to a body to be proud of.